Sunday, March 16, 2008

Thing 13: Online Productivity Tools

I've been using iGoogle start pages (I have two) for a while. I really like the way they handle RSS feeds, plus they're easy to set up and they have some fun graphics. It's nice to have everything pop up right away. iGoogle start pages are the most appealing since I'm on my way to my e-mail anyway every time I'm online. 

I tried the Spongecell calendar and it seemed like it could be a useful tool, but I'm such digital immigrant that I have a hard time considering ever giving up a paper calendar. Maybe someday. The same goes for the list-making sites. What's wrong with a post-it note stuck to the paper calendar? Sometimes I'm away from the computer (it's hard to believe that anyone could walk away) and I still need to remember what I'm supposed to be doing.

Backpack, on the other hand, looked really handy. I can see a situation like this: Another Knowledge Nomad and I are working together yet separately on a project for a client. That would be the perfect repository for our research and information as we're moving along. It could also be a nice way to present final results to the client.

All in all, I think I need to spend a lot more time with some productivity tools to find those that will really change my life. The irony is that I need extra time to do that.

No comments: