Sunday, March 16, 2008

Thing 14: LibraryThing

LibraryThing is pretty cool. This is exactly what I've been wanting for years. Here's a link to my library: http://www.librarything.com/catalog/kspanier. Or scroll down on the right to see some random books. 

What I liked was that after I put in a selection of books, more appeared that I might be interested in. Yes, Amazon does this when you purchase something, but this is more timely and constant. I found one right away that I didn't know about and now have a new one to hunt down.

There are a lot of people out there who have vast personal collections and want some sort of order to them, at least on paper (or online). This would be a great tool for them. I can see an independent librarian building databases for these time-pressed clients with LT.

This could be a great tool in schools for students to track their reading over the course of a year. It's also a good way to build reader's advisory lists. I think the visual images help a lot. 

It's so much easier to work in than LazyBase, although it is restricted to books - for now, anyway...

No comments: