Sunday, March 23, 2008

Thing 17: ELM Productivity Tools

Am I the only one who never heard of ELM before? This thing is awesome. I already access many of these resources through Minneapolis Public, but it's good to have them here, too. I had no idea that I could create web pages and make notes in the way we were instructed to in this exercise. I can easily see myself doing a search for a client and then compiling it all in an electronic format in this way. It could be passed to the client really easily as well. If I were working with someone else we could build the results together. It would be easy to see where one started and left off and the other one could just pick it up in the middle of the project.

I really liked the notes functions since I'm usually working fairly fast and I could use my own shorthand and codes on results and then go back later after I've done the majority of the search and pick and choose what I want.

For Gale, I had the same challenges of some of the people who posted. Even though I watched the tutorial about five times, I couldn't get the RSS feed to work. I tried both Safari and Firefox to no avail. But I can see how that would be really useful for an ongoing search need.

On Ebsco, I loved Page Composer and that you can actually customize it to how you want it to look.

I thought ProQuest's web page maker was easier to use than Page Composer. 

I liked NetLibrary's full-text contents and the notes function as well. I started looking around for some books on other topics related to library science and was a little disappointed by how dated some of them were. 

This Thing took more time than some of the others but it was really worth it. Cool!

No comments: