Monday, March 17, 2008

Thing 16: Student 2.0 Tools

I read about the Research Project Calculator a few years ago and took a look at it then and thought it was pretty nifty. I just played with it some more. I think this is a useful tool for students who aren't used to project management. The prompts also would help people to fully think through the research challenge they're working with.

I have a great big messy problem I'm dealing with myself that I need to get into presentation form by May 1. It's so big that I've been overwhelmed with where to start and how much time I need to spend on it. I plugged in my dates into the calculator and now I have a nice neat outline - complete with deadlines - to work with. The deadlines are probably the best part of the whole thing. This would be a great tool for librarians or anyone who frequently has large research assignments and lengthy deadlines.

The handouts in the Teacher Guide are excellent pathfinders for students. I can see where those could be used again and again. I even took a look at a few for my project. The one on evaluating sites is really important for students. (I'll never forget the time one of my clients needed a current map of the world and downloaded something from the internet that had a date on it from around 1492.)

No comments: